The NSF-Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is seeking reviewers for the FY23 cycle and psychological scientists are encouraged to apply. More information about serving as a reviewer is below. An infographic highlighting the responsibilities, eligibility criteria, and timeline expected of a reviewer is available here.
The goals of the NSF-GRFP are 1) to select, recognize, and financially support early-career individuals with the demonstrated potential to be high-achieving scientists and engineers and 2) to broaden participation in science and engineering of women, persons who are members of groups historically underrepresented in STEM, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
NSF-GRFP supports outstanding individuals in STEM disciplines who are pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees in eligible fields and subfields at accredited US institutions. The five-year fellowship includes three years of financial support, including an annual stipend of $37,000 and a cost of education allowance of $12,000. Additional information about the NSF-GRFP and the review process is at https://nsfgrfp.org.
Serving as a GRFP Reviewer is an excellent opportunity to:
- Be of service to the STEM community.
- Gain firsthand knowledge of the GRFP review process.
- Receive valuable perspective on the NSF Merit Review criteria.
- Support outstanding early-career STEM students.
- Applications include a personal statement, graduate research statement, educational background information, transcripts, and reference letters.
- The review process is entirely virtual.
- Reviewers must attend a training webinar and to be familiar with all reviewer training materials and requirements.
- Typically, reviewers will receive 16-20 applications and should expect to receive 2-5 additional applications later in the review process according to program needs.
- The time commitment is 12-16 hours. This may vary depending on your previous experience with application review.
- Students and post-docs are ineligible to review.
- Reviewers will receive a flat payment of $200 for their review of applications and participation in the virtual panel
- Reviewers may waive payment by choice or if required by their employment.
- Federal employees, citizens of foreign countries who are not permanent residents, and special visa holders are ineligible for this payment.
- Participation in the virtual panel is required.
- Registration: Open Now at https://nsfgrfpreviewers.org. Click “New User” to create a new account.
- Invitations to Serve: Starting Late October
- Mandatory Reviewer Orientation: all sessions will be virtual and meeting links will be sent closer to orientation dates.
- 11/1/2022 – 11 AM – 1 PM
- 11/4/2022 – 2 PM – 4 PM
- 11/10/2022 – 2 PM – 4 PM
- 11/15/2022 – 2 PM – 4 PM
- Review Starts: 12/1/2022
- Reviews Due: 12/31/2022
- Virtual Panel Sessions: 1/4/2023 thru 1/13/2023
Reviewers are required to attend a one-day, 5-hour panel session. NSF determines specific dates based on field of expertise.